Foreign Currency Cards – Luton Airport Guide
Currency Cards – The Basics
Currency cards are pretty widespread now, but the fees and rates can vary from card to card. Each card differs on what kind of currency you can use with it; some cards offer euro-only cards, or dollar-only cards with a sterling option, where you can load it with sterling and use it in any country.
Others offer more of a “wallet” feel, where you can load it with various kinds of currency and it will automatically pick the currency depending on which country you are in. Look carefully to see what kind of card is best for you – if you only travel within Europe a Euro-only card is going to be the best option for you.
It is also worth noting that these cards will often charge a fee for if they are used in a currency that is not included on the card, so do be careful about where you use it.
These are not credit cards, so it is best to bring a second card with you for emergencies. Especially if you plan to rent a car or stay in a hotel, these establishments often pre-authorise your credit card by placing a hold on a certain amount of money. This can often exceed the amount of money on your currency card and so it is not a good idea to use this card for that, a normal credit are is best. Similarly, automated petrol stations will often not accept currency cards.
Currency Card Benefits
- Best online exchange rates
- Convenient to use and carry
- Secure and safer than cash
- Lower fees than most credit debit cards
- Fixed rate upon loading card
Currency Card Drawbacks
- No section 75 purchase protection
- Cheapest cards need to be ordered in advance
- Some have cash withdrawal currency convert fees
Foreign Currency Cards
We’ve looked at some of the currency cards available for home delivery, take a look below at what they offer.
- Get a free Fair FX card
- Euro, Dollar, and Anywhere cards available
- 0% transaction fee (for Euro and Dollar cards, there is a 1.4% fee for the Anywhere card)
- Cash withdrawal fees are €1.50, $2 or £1.50 for the Anywhere card
- Maximum load £5000, €7500 or $10,000
ICE Travellers Cash Card
- Order a Free ICE card online
- Euros, Dollars, and Sterling
- 0% transaction fee
- No overseas cash withdrawal fee
- Minimum load £50, maximum load £5000, €7500, $10,000, but only £2500 per day
- Order Free Cash Passport
- £9.99 for the Globe Cash Passport but free for multi-currency card
- Up to 7 currencies available on the multi-currency card
- 0% transaction fee for the multi-currency card
- No overseas cash withdrawal fees
- Minimum load £50 (or equivalent), Maximum load £5000 but £1500 per day