We’ve compiled an airport checklist of things you’ll need to do or take with you when flying. This list is intended as a memory jogger, and will not include everything relevant to your trip.
To-Do Before Flying
- Confirm flight reservations and double-check the details – what terminal, what time you are flying, etc.
- Check the FCO website for any news or information that might affect the country you are travelling to.
- Research any vaccinations you may need and organise these well in advance.
- Apply for any necessary visas.
- If you choose your seats in advance, you will have to this in good time before flying. You can often do this by logging in to the airline’s website. There is, however, often a fee for pre-booking seats!
- Confirm any special meal requirements with the airline – you can also often do this by logging in to the airline’s website. If you are vegetarian, vegan or have any particular food allergies you will need to let the airline know.
- Check luggage regulations – these can vary from airline to airline, and if you arrive at the airport with oversized baggage the charges can be hefty.
- Book travel insurance.
Nowadays hand luggage allowances can be pretty stingy so you need to be careful with what you pack:
- Tickets and all travelling documents (passport, travel insurance, etc) – ideally somewhere easy to access.
- If you are travelling to Europe make sure you have your
European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) card.
- Any medication you will require whilst away.
- A spare change of clothes and a few basic toiletries – if your main suitcase goes missing you will want the essentials.
- Chargers for your phone and other electrical devices.
- Photocopies of your important documents in case these are lost.
- Pack wisely and know your weight limit – vacuum bags and packing cubes can all help here.
- Not sure what bag to take? Use this guide to the best bag for your trip to help you make a decision.
- Find extra tips for travelling with just your hand luggage over on Airport Parking Shop.